Friday, October 01, 2004

87 billion.

Full transcript here

Here we have a fine little exchange from last night's debate:

BUSH: As well, help is on the way, but it's certainly hard to tell it when he voted against the $87-billion supplemental to provide equipment for our troops, and then said he actually did vote for it before he voted against it.

Not what a commander in chief does when you're trying to lead troops.

LEHRER: Senator Kerry, 30 seconds.

KERRY: Well, you know, when I talked about the $87 billion, I made a mistake in how I talk about the war. But the president made a mistake in invading Iraq. Which is worse?

I believe that when you know something's going wrong, you make it right. That's what I learned in Vietnam. When I came back from that war I saw that it was wrong. Some
people don't like the fact that I stood up to say no, but I did. And that's what
I did with that vote. And I'm going to lead those troops to victory.


Dymanite answer. Kerry seems to be understanding the concept of sound bites. Up until now, he has explained the 87 billion dollar vote by - accurately - talking about the way the Senate works. He was RIGHT, of course, but such explanation are too involved and complex and bureaucratic to be digested by TV-weaned minds. Kerry does what he's supposed to do: fit in into a sentence. And this is a beautiful riposte to the Man Who Never Admits a Mistake:

"When I talked about the $87 billion, I made a mistake in how I talk about the war. But the president made a mistake in invading Iraq. Which is worse."

No comments: