Saturday, March 19, 2005

Disgrace.

"So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you." - Matt 7:12

It's bizarre how the news works. I didn't mention the removal of Terri Schiavo's feeding tube because I assumed that it wasn't an important story. And suddenly, it's the cause celebre of the moment.

Also because when I first read about it, I wasn't sure how I felt about it. I don't believe in extraordinary measures to keep someone alive, but a feeding tube?

But the more I've read about it, the more I have come to one inescapable conclusion:

The Republican Party is a stinking disgrace to humanity.

For anybody who reads this, I have one question:

Would you want your broken, emaciated, brain-dead body publicly displayed to the entire nation so one political party could score brownie points with their extremists that way?

Would you want YOUR 17-year-long death used for political gain?

The Republicans don't give an actual CRAP about that woman or her family. They are using a family tragedy as a political football.

It is one of the most morally reprehensible actions I have ever seen.

I'm not talking about the profound questions of life or death - those should be decided by the woman's family, not by some stinking Congressman. And I'm not going to point out that the Republicans' action contradict what they claim are their own principles - that's too obvious to require pointing out.

But somebody should say it: the actions and behavior of the Republican Party are a filthy national disgrace.

Grandstanding on the dead and the dying. Grandstanding on a family tragedy.

At long last, have they no decency? At long last, have they no shame?

No comments: