Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Hackett is my hero.

Paul Hackett - Iraq war vet, Democrat and former Congressional Candidate in Southern Illinois - was on the Ed Schultz Show and was asked about Rush Limbaugh attacking him. His response is a lesson in how to respond to such trash, and I hope the Democratic Party is paying attention. Here's the mp3. And here's a transcript of part of it.

SCHULTZ: "Rush Limbaugh said that you went to Iraq to pad your resume. What do you say to something like that?"

HACKETT: "That's typical for that fatass drug addict to come up with something like that. There's a guy ... I didn't hear this, but actually when I was on drill this weekend, I've got to tell you, he lost a lot of Republican supporters with his comments. Because they were coming up to me, telling me, "I can't believe he said that! Besides that, he called you a soldier. He doesn't know the difference between a soldier and a marine!"

"So generally, the consensus is Rush doesn't know squat about patriotism. He's typical of the new Republican. He's got a lot of lip and he doesn't walk the walk. The fact of the matter is, I went to Iraq to serve my country. I left my nice house, my nice wife by my choice because I thought it was the right thing to do. And man, if I was good enough to be able to see into the future that Rob Portman was going to step down from Congress, I mean I should actually be running for something a lot more than Congress. I went to Iraq because I wanted to serve my country and be with my Marines.

"I think it probably says more about Rush Limbaugh than it does anybody else that he comes up with those thought processes. And I think it's indicative of today's Republican party, which is patriotic lite translated to anybody who serves their country who truly serves their country and demonstrates it by their actions as opposed to their flapping gums.

"They want to attack us. But the fact of the matter is they can attack me, but I punch back just as hard as I get. Ask Rush how come he wasn't taking phone calls for the two days when he was on the attack with me. Ask him why his phone lines were clogged up. That's because he was getting thousands of calls from veterans from this war and other wars who were clogging up his phone lines, giving him an earful."

No comments: