Sunday, June 06, 2004

On President Reagan


Buffalo Bill's
defunct
who used to
ride a watersmooth-silver
stallion
and break onetwothreefourfive pigeonsjustlikethat
Jesus
he was a handsome man
and what i want to know is
how do you like your blueeyed boy
Mister Death

- e.e. cummings, "Buffalo Bill's Defunct"

William Rivers Pitt has excellent - and, I think, accurate - thoughts about the death of the 40th President of the United States. I wasn't sure what to say about it myself, since I didn't like the man and I think he did a lot of damage, but I don't want to badmouth the recently dead - that's the sort of thing right-wing haters do. Mr. Pitt, God bless him, puts it in solid perspective.

As for me, I simply have the same wish for Mr. Reagan that I have for everyone who dies: that he be forgiven his sins. May light perpetual shine upon him.

No comments: