Monday, January 14, 2008

Heh.

Squeegeeing for Rudy Giuliani

Monday, January 14th 2008, 12:44 AM

While other candidates are promising change, the cash-strapped Giuliani campaign is all but begging contributors for whatever change they can spare.

Rudy Giuliani himself is still rich enough to keep his Judi happy, but his campaign is becoming as broke as the panhandlers he once sought to vanquish from the city's streets.

So I figured I would do my part to help out the man America knows as the hero of 9/11.

I arrived at the Watts St. entrance to the Holland Tunnel yesterday with a hand-lettered cardboard sign hanging by twine from my neck:

"SQUEEGEE MEN FOR RUDY - ALL CHANGE IS GOOD."

With a squeegee in one hand and a bucket in the other, I stepped into traffic. More than a few of the drivers looked as if they were beholding a dread apparition from the dirty old past.

We here in New York also know Giuliani as the mayor who heroically rid us of the three or maybe even four dozen squeegee men who worked our streets.

No comments: