Wednesday, September 15, 2004

Weeping may endure for a night

"But joy cometh in the morning."

Firing someone for his or her political beliefs seems to go against everything this country stands for. But it isn't actually illegal.

So a dedicated member of Right-Wing-BrownShirts-R-Us, Phil Geddes, owner of c ompany called "Enviromate" actually fired an employee, Lynne Gobbell, for having a Kerry Bumpersticker on her car.

"We were going back to work from break, and my manager told me that Phil said to remove the sticker off my car or I was fired," she said. "I told him that Phil couldn't tell me who to vote for. He said, 'Go tell him.' "

"I asked him if I was fired and he told me he was thinking about it," she said. "I said, 'Well, am I fired?' He hollered and said, 'Get out of here and shut the door.' "

She said her manager was standing in another room and she asked him if that meant for her to go back to work or go home. The manager told her to go back to work, but he came back a few minutes later and said, " 'I reckon you're fired. You could either work for him or John Kerry,' " Gobbell said.


So in a fine move, John Kerry, after reading the story somewhere, called the woman up and hired her.

"Then, late this afternoon, Kerry himself phoned Gobbell. "He was telling me how proud he was that I stood up," Gobbell told me. "He'd read the part where Phil said I could either work for him or work for John Kerry. He said, 'you let him know you're working for me as of today.' I was just so shocked."


Let's see if the media covers it. This is a perfect campaign story - the sort that the press just eats up. But it makes Kerry look good, so I'll bet it gets little play.

By the way, here's contact info for the clown that fired. If you are so inclined, call him up and tell him what a piece of crap he is.

Email: phil@pgeddes.com

The Enviromate Company is here:
EnviroMate Insulation
13855 Court Street
Moulton, Alabama 35650
Phone: 256.350.0442

Mr. Geddes also has a law office with contact info as follows:
619 Bank Street
Decatur, AL 35601

No comments: