Thursday, September 15, 2005

They get letters

From the New York Times:

President Bush's remarks - "Katrina exposed serious problems in our response capability at all levels of government, and to the extent that the federal government didn't fully do its job right, I take responsibility" - do not indicate that he is taking responsibility at all.

If he felt he was truly responsible, he would level with the American people. He would say: "I'm sorry that I was too busy after the storm to pay attention to what was really going on, and it won't happen again.

"I'm sorry that I was so misinformed that I said nobody anticipated the breach of the levees, and it won't happen again.

"I'm sorry that I put rewarding my political allies by appointing unqualified people ahead of public safety, and it won't happen again."

But it just keeps happening again and again, and all we get from this president are meaningless platitudes.

Ilene Fader

No comments: